Sunday, December 21, 2008

Honey, I Shrunk the Apple Tart

Sometimes, I get writer's block. Not so much for this blog, but for my other creative writing endeavors (no, don't ask, you would just laugh!). I sit and write, and then delete paragraphs and write again, and it just feels all wrong. I'm sure you know the feeling. And then, when I'm almost desperate with frustration, and I know what I want to say but the words just won't come, I take a crayon and color outside the lines -- I change up the perspective, I put myself in a different character's shoes, and voila, it begins to flow.

The same kind of thing happened with this tart. I made the full size version twice, and both times (though I got rave reviews on the taste), I just wasn't feeling it. Then... oh yes, you know what comes next... came these little 4" tarts. And people, I tell you, it was fabulous, and it sang to me as only a perfect dessert can sing. The crust is thin and crisp and the apples are tender and fragrant, and it's just the perfect size. I'm in love... with a tart.


The recipe (and mouthwatering photos) can be found at Smitten Kitchen.

The recipe yields four 4" tartelettes. For these, it's best to use smaller apples that will stay firm, like golden delicious. Once I made and chilled the dough, I divided it into four parts and rolled each piece out into a 6 inch circle between two sheets of wax paper. I put the rolled out dough into the freezer for a few minutes before transferring to the tartelette pans (this is a great trick that I learned from a pastry chef -- this way, you can transfer even the thinnest crust without ripping it).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the tartelettes and this post title made me laugh!!

Eileen said...

Beautiful little tarts, Irene. I also make 4-inch individual apple tarts. Love filling a big tray or basket with them when I'm asked to bring a dessert to a dinner party.

Irene said...

Eileen, what kind do you make? Would love a recipe!

Linnea Eileen said...

Irene, I think your writers block has lasted at least a year! And I'm not laughing since I'm not one to talk.

Irene said...

It's just been a little... sidetracked... yes, that's it. ;)

Y said...

I'm a big fan of small tarts too, and love the look of these - the way you've folded the pastry over the tops, makes it look so deliciously rustic.