Friday, January 1, 2010

Baked Brie

IMG_5456

This year, A. and I decided to do something unprecedented - we decided to stay home and throw ourselves a party. There was a menu, there were fancy clothes, there was an entire bottle of champagne, there were twinkle lights and presents and a whole lot of tipsiness... in other words, it was a totally awesome way to start the new year!

New Year's Eve 2010

My dears - in this new year, I want to wish you all much health, happiness, luck, peace, love and prosperity. May our knives always be sharp and may our cuts heal quickly. Happy 2010!

IMG_5425_1

Baked Brie

1 sheet of puff pastry, defrosted if frozen
1 standard sized triangle of brie
a little olive oil, for brushing

This is a ridiculously easy thing to make, and yet, this gets me the most accolades when I do make it. You take one sheet of defrosted puff pastry (I prefer to use all-butter puff pastry), you wrap it around a good-sized triangle of brie, you brush it with a little olive oil and you bake it at 425F for about 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is flaky and golden and the cheese is all melty and ooozy goodness. Ta-daa!

You can totally dress this up by cutting the cheese in half and layering it with a bit of brown sugar, raisins and sauteed apples. I mean, it couldn't hurt, right? But the beautiful thing is that you can serve it just simple-like - beautifully puffed pastry and a molten lava of cheese. It's the kind of marriage that needs no embellishments.

16 comments:

Rambling Tart said...

Awww, you guys are adorable :-) So glad you had such a fabulous night! The baked brie sounds divine. :-)

oneordinaryday said...

What a fun idea to get all spiffied up and have a party. Great way to start a new year.

♥peachkins♥ said...

Happy New Year!

El said...

How can you go wrong with baked Brie. Glad you had fun. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, darling Irene! Thank you for all the wonderful recipes, mouth-watering pictures, and the heart-warming stories. Food is the bonding glue of the society, right? Wishing you much happiness and yumminess in the new decade!

Fondly, your fan F

Irene said...

Dearest Fiona - happy New Year to you too! Thank you for continuing to come here and connect with me from across the country. It's really a miracle of modern technology that such wonderful things can happen and I am so grateful!

wood baby crib said...

What a nice way to welcome the New Year! I am really happy that I discovered your blog! Thanks!

Dewi said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Irene. May this year bring lots of happiness.
Cheers,
elra

I am loving your baked brie.

Patsyk said...

I love baked brie! What a perfect way to bring in the new year!

Barbara said...

Cute photo!
And I adore baked brie!
Happy New Year!

Ash said...

looks amazing!!
i've always wanted to do a baked brie! I have to now, it looks too cool... or should I say hot? hehe

Happy New Year!

Manggy said...

Happy new year Irene! What a great way to begin! :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year!
~ingrid

The Caked Crusader said...

baked brie (or camembert is just as good) is one of my favourite things - yum!

Pam said...

Sounds like the perfect news years to me!

ChichaJo said...

You guys are too cute! :) Lovely celebration! The baked brie sounds divine!

Have a great new year!